Monday, August 31, 2009

Old and Rusty

Every once in awhile I have to go out to the barn and look around to remind myself what treasures lie there. There are times when I see these 'finds' in a whole new light and gain inspiration from the most simple things.

Not too long ago I photographed some of my treasures with the idea that I would do something with them graphically.

This is a picture of a very old and rusty Singer Sewing Machine. I think it stands on its own as a work of art but I couldn't resist finding one small area to focus on the decay, the rust and wear of this beautiful machine.

When I look at this picture I'm reminded of my Grandmother's treadle sewing machine that sat by the window in her back parlor, the sun streaming down over all of its fascinating intricate parts. Considering how much that machine was valued by her, Grandma was so sweet to let me play with the treadle to see how fast I could get it to go. I'm sure she must have pulled the spool up or I would still be wrapped in a cocoon of thread.

By the way.... I still have Grandma's treadle machine. :o)

Have a great week!

Oh! And did you see my "Great Blog Award" that was so kindly given to me by Suzie from itch2stitch? Thank you Suzie!

Best...

Canace

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Awhhh! Thanks Canace! I love your post, I have an old singer sewing machine that belonged to my Grandmother too! It is beautiful, and brings back memories of all the lovely clothes she made, she was so talented. She could make tailored coats, and everything she made looked so good! Lovely post, thanks! Suzie. x :)

Janet Baskerville said...

Bffffffffffff, I love your blog award and the sewing machine graphic, but most of all you! :)

dime store daze said...

that's a great picture, but i want to get into that barn...

Artsnark said...

great photo! Bet your barn would make a steampunk artist drool

Canace said...

lol @ Terri... I know! I would be the same.. and Stacey... you're right... I love steampunk and there are tons of 'ditties' that I have collected. Running out of room!

Bffffff.... you're such a honey!

pamelahuntington said...

What a fabulous picture... you feel like you
can reach out and touch the emblem in the
machine!

xo